How do I file a claim?

  • Upon mechanical breakdown, have your vehicle safely transported to a licensed repair facility of your choosing. Have the repair facility call us at (844) 809-5829 to begin the claim and obtain necessary authorization. We deal directly with the repair facility throughout the duration of the claims process! It’s that simple.

If I have a contract with Freedom Warranty, who pays any approved claim?

Not every company that sells extended vehicle service contracts (VSC) issues the contract, or is responsible for paying any approved claims. Freedom Warranty manages every VSC it approves and is responsible for handling any legitimate claim submitted. You always deal directly with Freedom Warranty from the time your contract has been accepted, through any approved claims, to completion of repairs.